Blog as you mean to go on

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Today is the beginning of a brand new 365-page book. Write a good one.

These seem to be the hot words of the moment; pretty much every other post I've noticed on all social media networks have bared some variation or depiction of this quote. With good reason to, as it rings so insanely true. It is often felt that the first day of the first month of the year is the ultimate kick-start to wiping the slate clean and bombarding onwards with a fistful of resolutions and good intentions. I often like to think of January 1st as just that, but prefer a more positive approach with realistic goals. For some time, my method regarding all sorts of things is to simply take everything one day at a time. Blogging, for example, can appear so overwhelming when I think of how I'm going to shoehorn it in between working, commuting and catching zzz's (and yes, all the evenings spent drinking brewskis also). Is there any way I can train myself sleep-blog? However part of teaching myself to take everything each day as it comes, was to stop worrying so much. If I can blog, brilliant! And if I can't, so what? There's always tomorrow. After all, every day is the beginning of something awesome.

However, let's not discredit 2013 in the slightest. I, for one, can quite easily accept that 2013 was a rollercoaster year to say the very least! While I won't divulge into dirty details just yet, I want to take a moment to recall the very last day of the last month of the year - the month where, all of a sudden, things started to slide back into their rightful places.

Most excitingly, I officially made it a tradition of mine to book an epic trip on every New Year's Eve. Well, if I do it two years in a row, it's a tradition right? Last year, at the actual stroke of midnight, I signed up for a sweet-as Trek America trip to Canada and this year I'm sticking to what I know best - that's right, I'm jumping straight back on the Trek America bandwagon except this time, I am doing what can only be described as the Western USA roadtrip of dreams. Read it and weep whoop! San Fran, Yosemite, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Route 66 and LA all in a week. It's coming for me in May (or rather, I'm coming for it) and I am giddy with anticipation already. Americuuuuuurrrrr!

Possibly the greatest achievement of them all is that I made it out for New Year's Eve. As in, out out. Honestly, you just read that correctly. If you're not in the know, then hear this: I am not exaggerating when I say that I have spent New Year's Eve indoors for probably the past 8~ years. Every year, it's been a vision of mine to go out and part-ay until the early morn but every year, something happens and it's basically a write-off. But this year, I made it. Very last minute indeed because that's how I roll but there I was at the stroke of midnight, jiving in a club in Croydon to Slade's version of Auld Lang Syne (the very best I'll have you know) with my bruvva-from-anuvva-muvva J. Absolutely glorious!

And then bringing it back around in a full circle to books, and writing a good one. It's my belief that even beyond coincidence and (dare I say it) fate, you are the master of your own destiny. A smile and a little positive thinking can go a long, long way and these are the actions that have kept my motors running many a day - especially in 2013. I had heard of these awesome 'One Line A Day' diaries a while ago but really wanted to start mine at the beginning of 2014. So I waited out my excitement when my Amazon order arrived three days early and tonight I get to make my very first entry. This little diary is awesome in the fact that you basically have to pick out the most memorable parts of your day (or condense it into something cryptic and awesome) into Tweet-size and when you get to the end of the year, you go back to the first page and start again. So at the end of it all - when I will be very old, for sure - you will have five years of memories all on one page. Magical!

So there we have it: the best end to 2013 that I could never have expected, and I think I'm well on my way to making 2014 a truly amazing year. This is the beginning of writing a good one, guys.

P.S. Completely amazing that Dubai got their world record 'n' all, but literally when I thought that London could never do a better display than they ever had before... then we go and put out this absolute stonker of a show. Weirdly and unashamedly, this sort of stuff brings tears to my eyes. I love my hometown!

No comments:

Post a Comment