Come in 25, your time is up

Sunday, 14 July 2013

It's been a few weeks, but I've been a busy bee.

However I turn 26 in two days and I think it's about high time I came to a halt and indulged in equal slithers of both reflection and intention.

It comes at (I guess) a good time for me, in more ways than one. Firstly I've just fallen off of the whirlwind that has been quite possibly the busiest month's of my life. In between seeing everybody under the sun actually under the 30c sun, I've also worked 50-60hr weeks. Add to that probably the busiest period of my company's diary - namely the End Of Year meeting/celebrations and working at a festival that we set up at - plus getting myself prepared for a big big store move, there hasn't been an awful lot of time left for everything that really matters. It's definitely time to get myself back on track in terms of looking after number one and getting all my ducks (or goals) in a line.

Stop working like a madwoman.
I never thought I'd say this about myself, especially when I was 16 and flunking my GCSEs, but I guess I'm sort of a workaholic. I'm an articulate perfectionist and thrive on organisation and seeing tasks through to the end. Basically, I love a tidy store and office and even more love a challenge. I'm met with plenty in my job, be it a challenge with a brilliant end-goal or one where I'm fighting losing battles constantly. And there have been many instances where I've stayed late at work, or taken work home with me, or attended on my day off. Sometimes it has to be done; we've all been there surely. But I need to scale back now. Working 55hrs when I won't be paid for 10 of them doesn't glitter too much and while sometimes it's completely unavoidable, I have been guilty of working beyond what is required of me more than once. I need to train myself to keep within my confine as much as is possible. After all, new store and new team = bigger responsibility. No time to knacker myself out.

Treat myself how I treat others.
I'm a firm believer in the saying treat others how you want to be treated - in fact it's my working mantra, as I deal directly with the public, and therefore very much my life ethic. There's not a lot I wouldn't do to keep a customer or a friend happy. But do I follow the same advice myself? Do I heck. I need to spend more time praising, pampering and celebrating myself. Schedule in regular facemask evenings, crack open that beer and listen to some music and read some blogs, go through a major life purge and bin most of the crap that I possess. No more procrastinating.

Stop neglecting hobbies and passions.
I can pinpoint the exact moment that I stopped caring about hobbies such as running, photographing, blogging and baking. The saddest thing is that it's inevitably when I became a manager over one year ago. However I can't and wouldn't want to change that, so I just need to reignite the flame for these passions. How I go about this business, I'm not yet sure, but I'm imagining something along the lines of weekly challenges. Photo projects? I'm already doing an Instagram 365 but I want more. Baking? Running? I really need to get back into those two and I need to stop using my microwave-sized oven and 74-step flat entrance as excuses. Blogging? Well here I am, trying to keep it up. And I still want more. I still want to learn that language, I still want to edit videos, I still want to scrapbook and get that capsule wardrobe. I just need to spend more time doing.

Live for the moment.
Major sap moment, but obviously I awoke to the news of the death of Cory Monteith this morning. I have never watched Glee but I know him by name and face and I know that he dated his co-star Lea Michele who periodically appears in Glamour magazine (my not-so-guilty pleasure!) every so often. I was completely fine until I read of a news story where she hadn't given a statement, therefore the publication had instead waded through a hoard of dredged-up quotes and republished them. They mostly read along the lines of, "No-one knows me better than Cory" and "He makes me feel like I can do anything." before finishing to state the obvious: that she is currently completely inconsolable. I was in pieces just reading that. It takes a moment to realise that beyond the news stories that you read there is a 26-year old girl out there who has just lost the love of her life, without warning. Horrifying to even contemplate. It just goes to show that we really do only have one life and we cannot waste it. We need to embrace every second; go and tell the person that you love exactly how you feel; embark on that trip of a lifetime; do everything you've ever wanted to do. Because you never know what comes tomorrow.

26 has to be a better year than 25, even though it feels like a scarier number by a complete landslide. 25 was that middling head-nodding 'I can deal with this' sort of age, but 26 feels like a over-exaggerated gigantic step towards the big 3-0. But with 25 came some humongous changes in my life, some that I could never have even predicted, and it's been a task just trying to keep up with and deal with everything I've ploughed into. But I'm having a good feeling about 26. I think this year is the year when stuff happens. Good stuff. And finally too; I'm beginning to feel like I deserve a bit of a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment